Top tips for keeping it cheap
Here are a few quick tips on how to shop for healthy food without spending a fortune!
- Don't go shopping when you're hungry: always go just after you've eaten and you'll be less likely to cram the trolley full of unnecessary items.
- Take a calculator to the supermarket with you and add up everything as you go. That way, you can really stick to your budget and you won't have any nasty surprises at the checkout.
- Choose seasonal fruit and vegetables where possible and choose dishes that will make the most of these.
- Only buy what you know you're going to be able to eat. Alternatively, if it's cheaper to buy in bulk, then plan some meals that can be made and frozen for later use.
- Try using local market stalls for your fruit and vegetables; if you go towards the end of the day you'll pick up plenty of bargains.